Five KU journalism students were selected by the Kansas Association of Broadcasters to receive scholarships for the 2014-15 academic year. The recipients are:
- Stephanie Bickel, a Harper senior majoring in news and information
- Allison Hammond, an Overland Park senior majoring in news and information
- Kayla Schartz, an Ellinwood junior majoring in news and information
- Dylan Sherwood, an Emporia junior majoring in news and information
- Bernie Verhaeghe, a Bucyrus junior majoring in news and information
“These students showed great passion for the business,” said Brett Akagi, media director and digital content strategist for the University Daily Kansan. “They worked hard at part-time jobs and broadcast internships, and they showed an interest in staying in Kansas after graduation. Winning 5 of the 13 scholarships shows how far KU has come with our broadcast program, and we are really proud of them.”
Applicants were interviewed in person and selected by a committee of KAB members from across the state. In order to earn the scholarship, recipients had to be Kansas residents attending a post-secondary institution and enrolled full time in a broadcast-related curriculum.