Jerry Crawford is an associate professor in News and Information. His research focus is Historically Black Colleges and Universities and their units of journalism and mass communication. His areas of expertise are accreditation of schools with journalism and mass communications programs, broadcasting, ethics and mass communication theory. He teaches Ethics, Multiple Media Reporting, Advanced Reporting, Producing and Audio/Visual Documentary.
- B.S., Mass Communications, Virginia Commonwealth University
- M.S. Special Education Technology, Virginia State University
- Ph.D., Mass Communications Media Studies, Howard University
- Gretchen and Gene Budig Teaching Professorship, University of Kansas, 2020
- New Faculty Facilitator Award, 2008 - KU Learning Communities
- Excellence in Teaching Award, 2010 - Center for Teaching Excellence
- John Katich Award for Creativity, 2014 - School of Journalism
- Mortar Board Award, 2018 - University of Kansas Torch Chapter
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Accreditation of Journalism Schools
- Crawford, J., Boyles, J., Hernandez, T., Chen, L., Cheng, H., & Perlmutter, D. (2020). “Opportunities and Challenges: Professional development programming in media & communication education”. Journalism and Mass Communication Educator. (Winter Special Issue).
- Crawford, J. (2020). “High School Journalism Advisers and Diversified Newsrooms”. Broadcast Education Association’s Journal of Media Education (JoME). (Vol. 11 – Number 2, pp. 31-38). https://en.calameo.com/read/0000917898a07ac2096e4
- Crawford, J. (2017). “HBCUs: Accreditation, governance and survival challenges in an ever-increasing competition for funding and students”. Journal of Research Initiatives. February, 2017.
- Crawford, J. (2014). “Leaders in journalism education: Administrators at ACEJMC Accredited programs and non-accredited HBCU programs critique the standards”. Journal of Research Initiatives, (Vol. 1, Number 2). http://digitalcommons.uncfsu.edu/jri/vol1/iss2/10/or http://hdl.handle.net/1808/16203
- Crawford, J. (2014). "Marlen Livezey: Challenges and successes of establishing a journalism department at the nation's first HBCU". Journal of Media Education, BEA (Volume 5, Number 1)
- Reinardy, S. and Crawford, J. (2013). "Assessing the Assessors: JMC Administrators Critique the Nine ACEJMC Standards". Journalism & Mass Communication Educator (Volume 68, Number 4)
- Crawford, J. (2012). “A link to the future: A pilot study look at how Historically Black Colleges and Universities with journalism and mass communications units use the Internet in recruiting”. Contemporary Issues in Education Research (Volume 5, Number 2)
- Crawford, J. (2012). “The challenges and successes of department governance: A look at HBCU journalism and mass communications unit administrators”. Contemporary Issues in Education Research (Volume 5, Number 3)
- Crawford, Jerry and Barbara Hines. (2010). “Earning Accreditation and Preparing Students for Future Challenges: Journalism Education atHistorically Black Colleges.” Journalism Education, Training and Employment, chapter 3, Routledge, Taylor and Francis.
- Crawford, J. (2012). “Choosing higher education: How freshmen and first-year journalism and mass communication students used the Internet in their decision”.