Sports Media Concentration
Sports Media Concentration
Get in the game with a Sports Media Concentration from the William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
The Sports Media Concentration allows students interested in pursuing a career in sports media, marketing, communications or administration to tailor their education, knowledge and experience to best prepare them for a career in sports after graduation. The concentration is designed to appeal to and prepare news/information and strategic communication students to work anywhere in the sports industry.
Interested students will complete the requirements of the concentration by successfully completing these three courses:
JOUR 488: Laboratory in Media Production
JOUR 540: Sports, Media and Society
JOUR 585: Multimedia Sports Journalism
Choose one elective from this list of courses in the Department of Health, Sports and Exercise Sciences:
HSES 384: Sport Law
HSES 483: Sport Finance and Economics
HSES 381: Sport Ethics
HSES 289: Introduction to Sport Management
HSES 380: Sociology of Sport
HSES 485: Sport Communication
HSES 487: Personnel Management in Sport
HSES 382: Sport Facilities and Event Management
HSES 486: Sport Marketing
In addition to these courses, you’ll have the opportunity to get hands-on experience by working with professionals at KU Athletics, ESPN, Time Warner Cable, Midco, local media outlets and campus media organizations.
Whether you are interested in reporting, production, play by play, multimedia, marketing, public relations or administration, our curriculum will immerse you in the exciting and expanding world of sports media.
You will graduate with a Sports Media Concentration on your official KU transcript, which will enhance your resume and job prospects!
You’ll also join many KU J-School alumni who are working in sports, including:
- Kevin Harlan, play-by-play announcer for CBS Sports and NBA
- Laura Okmin, NFL sideline reporter, Fox Sports
- Brian Hanni, Voice of the Jayhawks, University of Kansas
- Victoria Baldwin, business and marketing director, Octagon
- Mike Vernon, content producer, Bleacher Report
- Coral Lu, reporter, ESPN China
- Mike Miller, senior editor, NBCSports.com
- Abby Walsh, graphics broadcast associate, MLB Network
- Jennifer Berquist, associate athletics director, Williams Education Fund at Kansas Athletics
- Erin Meyer, communications assistant, Wake Forest Athletics
- Julie Browman, reporter, Altitude Sports and Entertainment
- Jennifer Cobb, owner, JJC Racing
- Kimberly Hobbs, vice president of partnerships and premium sales, AEG Worldwide/Sprint Center
Want to learn more? Email email@example.com.